[Spridgets] My challenge

To: Spridgets <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] My challenge
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 21:50:28 -0400
The "$50 Midget"

I asked yous guys a couple of times about a nicely restored Midget for
the 50th but I have no takers.
So I challenged myself to see just how cheap I can put together a safe,
show worthy, great running, Midget.
I have been going through all these parts I have accumulated over the
years, I have a front end, rear end, all suspension parts, and usable
seats. I have a good running engine, several trannys of unknown
condition, and loads of new old stock parts that need a home.
So I bought this Midget shell off Ebay last year for $50 local pick up.
It was extremely local because his storage spot was 1 mile from my
storage coop which is 15 miles from my house.
It was media blasted and primed 13 years ago and it was never hit.
But all I got was a shell, no doors, no fenders, no guts at all, no
interior, no dash, no gauges, no bonnet or boot lid. Just a tub with no
wires, pipes, or parts of any kind.
So I found a harness in my wire tote, Jay was tossing a pair of fenders
last year when I went to see him, Thanks Jay, they will be fitted to the
$50 special.
I have doors, Kevin has a grille for me as I have 2 beyond repair.
I will rebuild the entire brake system and put in new suspension
bushings, I may see about doing up the shocks myself, and if they are no
good, there is always Peter for top notch rebuilts.
I have carbs ready to go, a couple of dizzys, several damn near new
clutches and brakes with little or now wear on them, it's time to use
this stuff.
What am I saving it for? I know, this challenge!
I will keep a record of every dime spent including spray bombs from
local hardware stores.
I have the paint, Harvest Gold thanks to Gilroy who had to leave it
behind in Jersey when he moved to Washington.
that's right, leave your toxic stuff here in NJ before you leave but it
now will get used.
Buying a case of new headlamps at Carlisle means the new headlamp bulbs
will be put down as a cost but $1.25 each was cheap, right Kevin?
My goal is $500 max including the coat of the car
Oh the engine was a feebee too, it came in the back of a Morris Minor my
son bought, he wanted it out of his garage, I took it, fired it up, and
will use it. He is putting a VW engine (sidewinder) with Geo Tracker
tranny, in line in his Minor, or if the deal works for him, a Miata
drive train but he already has the VW/Geo parts.
Anyway, I will still sell this pile of parts when it's finished but
maybe, just maybe, it will come out to Elkhart Lake next June, and if it
does, under it's own power.
Daniel, if you want a Midget for the 50th, and you are coming, it needs
a driver ;)
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ