Re: [Spridgets] Megapixels digital cameras, phones and NO LBC

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Megapixels digital cameras, phones and NO LBC
From: <bjshov8@tx.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 0:58:00 -0400
It is very hard to compare camera statistics from one type of camera to
another.  There is no substitute for sensor size and lens size.

I have an old Nikon D70 with 6MP sensor.  It will very easily beat the pants
off of any currently available small camera with 12MP or 14MP sensor.  I have a
small Canon 7MP camera, barely bigger than some cellphones, and though it is
very much inferior to the old Nikon D70, it is very much better than any
cellphone that you can buy anywhere.

Basically a cellphone camera cannot begin to take the place of a real camera,
there just isn't enough room in the phone for a sufficient lens and sensor, and
I suspect that cellphone manufacturers don't take much design time in making
the camera work, they can barely get the rest of the phone to work.  Just look
at the recent antenna issue with the iphone4.

Nevertheless I've seen some photos from the new iphone that almost looked like
they were satisfactory for crude snapshots, so camera phones have improved.  I
think the newest android phones have pretty good cameras too.  I remember a few
years ago I was shopping for new phones.  I went to the local ATT store and
while waiting for someone to help me I played with the phones they had on
display.  I took some photos with some of those older camera phones.  I was
standing less than 10 feet from the employees sitting at desks, and in the
resulting photos you couldn't tell if I was taking a photo of a human or
something else, so those phones were really bad.

The original poster stated the interest in macro photography.  The cheapest
Canon or Nikon DSLR would work fine for this with bodies available new for
$450US or less.  Used ones are available for less than that.  My old D70 still
works great but is worth less than $200 on the used market.  Also very good
macro lenses are available for under $300US.  So you don't have to spend a lot
for a top notch digital macro system.

> Ok that was interesting, especially the web link.  So if the lens and
> gubbins inside the Nokia X6 is decent it might give the Canon a run for its
> money even though the Canon does have a higher MP count.  I guess I do need
> sample pictures.  So anyone have a Nokia X6 they can use to send me some
> photos from?

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive