Re: [Spridgets] Automatic transmission

To: <WeslakeMonza1330@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Automatic transmission
From: "Chris King" <cbking@alum.rpi.edu>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 08:31:21 -0700
According to Wikipedia, the Merkur XR4Ti (the Ford Sirerra sold in the
US market) used Ford's C3:

"The XR4Ti was distinguished mechanically by its turbocharged
<http://mail.alum.rpi.edu/wiki/Turbocharger>  Ford Lima
<http://mail.alum.rpi.edu/wiki/Ford_Pinto_engine#2.3_OHC>  2.3 L
4-cylinder <http://mail.alum.rpi.edu/wiki/Straight-4>  SOHC engine and
independent rear suspension, and stylistically by its large bi-plane
spoiler (replaced in later years with a single rear spoiler). It came
with either the C3 <http://mail.alum.rpi.edu/wiki/Ford_C3_transmission>
3-speed automatic transmission
<http://mail.alum.rpi.edu/wiki/Automatic_transmission>  or the Ford Type
9 <http://mail.alum.rpi.edu/wiki/Type_9> , 5-speed manual transmission
<http://mail.alum.rpi.edu/wiki/Manual_transmission> ."

I'd expect C3s are easy to find, used Pintos and early (pre-86) Fox
bodies (Mustang, Fairmont, etc) behind the 2.3L 4.

You might also be able to use an AL4D, which is the OD replacement for
the C3. Used in 4 cyl Mustangs and T-birds, and the Ranger based trucks
(incl. BroncoII, Explorer, and Aerostar).

Good luck.

-=Chris

Chris King
http://home.comcast.net/~kvcbk/