Re: [Spridgets] Hot stick in slow traffic

To: "'Edward Perez'" <eap2140@yahoo.com>, <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Hot stick in slow traffic
From: "Dean Hedin" <dlh2001@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 19:36:38 -0400
Typical running temp for a manual gearbox would be 150-175 F.

Heat is transferred very easily from the engine to the tranny, so you need
to make sure you are  not looking at a more general engine cooling issue.
Do you have an idea what the engine temps were during this excursion?

It might be a good idea to hook up a digital temp sensor to the tranny case
and monitor things.

After experimenting with the various viscosities in my 5 speed I've
determined the you want to go with the 90w GL-4 oil. NAPA sells it.
Sta-Lube Brand.  140wt quiets the gear noise down but the shifts are hard
until it warms up.