[Spridgets] Colour - Special Sprites

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spridgets] Colour - Special Sprites
From: Martyn Ridley <ridleymj@bis.on.ca>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 19:39:11 -0500
The Ice-blue colour would have been done at the Cape, not in
Abingdon.  All bodies were painted prior to being sent for assembly
by the body makers.  They would paint only in the standard
colours.  Shells dispatched to the cape would either have come in
standard issue or 'sans' topcoat.  In either case, the Cape would add
the topcoat as part of its prep.  The use of ice blue suggests it was
done at the Cape as this is Healey favourite.  If the car had been
prepared by Abingdon's competition department it would most likely
have gone red.

Note that competition cars were routinely re-sprayed and did change
colour (and in the case of the square body - make).

Frogeyes came in Speedwell Blue and Iris Blue, the latter being
light  'baby' blue and if the photos are not good could be confused
with Ice Blue non-metallic - though I am not aware that that colour
was used on big Healeys in the 60's.  I note on the Sebring Sprite
Site a reference to "Scuderia Light Blue" which is in my eye very
close to Ice Blue.  My final thought is that this is a colour
independent of all standard colours used exclusively by the team.

Cheers,
Martyn

"Leaf" Green 59

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html