Re: [Spridgets] 7 MRI's

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] 7 MRI's
From: <corvallis@peoplepc.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 16:50:18 -0800
From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRI
" Claustrophobia and discomfort:
Due to the construction of some MRI scanners, they can be potentially
unpleasant to lie in. Older models of closed bore MRI systems feature a
fairly long tube or tunnel. The part of the body being imaged must lie at
the center of the magnet, which is at the absolute center of the tunnel.
Because scan times on these older scanners may be long (occasionally up to
40 minutes for the entire procedure), people with even mild claustrophobia
are sometimes unable to tolerate an MRI scan without management. Modern
scanners may have larger bores (up to 70 cm) and scan times are shorter.
This means that claustrophobia is less of an issue, and many patients now
find MRI an innocuous and easily tolerated procedure.

Alternative scanner designs, such as open or upright systems, can also be
helpful where these are available. Though open scanners have increased in
popularity, they produce inferior scan quality because they operate at lower
magnetic fields than closed scanners. However, commercial 1.5 tesla open
systems have recently become available, providing much better image quality
than previous lower field strength open models."

...bill in corvallis