[Spridgets] 7 MRI's

Subject: [Spridgets] 7 MRI's
From: lmacy at mac.com (Macy Larry)
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 07:56:24 -0500
In our lab, we do about 1000 MRI's a year for research. We don't do nuttin less
than a 7 Tesla magnet. And there are no open 7 Tesla systems that I am aware
of. When you are doing functional imaging of activity in the brain, 1.5 Tesla
just does not give the resolution necessary. We are currently working with a
bunch of kids from 8 - 21, we have a set up that allows them to "practice" in a
tube with all the noise. If they get jittery, we get the next kid on the list.

As I understand it, the noise comes from the reversing of the polarity of the
magnet. It is not really any physical movement, just a sudden reversal of the
polarity causes a rapid displacement of the air inside, causing a shock wave,
also known as sound. I may be off in that analysis, but it is pretty close.

Larry

--

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Keep your top down and your chin up.

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy at upenn.edu
Senior IT Program Director
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 10 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

 Ask a question and you're a fool for three minutes; do not ask a question and
you're a fool for the rest of your life.