Re: [Spridgets] major motor problems

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] major motor problems
From: "Jim Seippel" <aseippel@austin.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 22:39:56 -0600
I sent this post last night and it was bounced because of size. I have to
break it into sections. So here is Part 3. Jim

~~~~

12. Disconnect the oil pressure gauge line from the engine and make sure it
is pushed back out of the way.

13. Jack up the car and put it on jack stands.

14. Disconnect the exhaust pipe stabilizing bracket (if it is still there).

15. Remove all of the engine to transmission bolts. There are 8 - not
counting the starter bolts.

16. Place a small scissor jack under the transmission and jack it up until
the weight is supported on the jack.

17. Remove the upper nuts from the motor mounts (2 on each side). Remove the
3 bolts that attach the right hand motor mount support from the body of the
car.

18. Pull the exhaust system free from the head studs and pull it towards the
left hand side of the car so it is out of the way.

19. Attach a lifting chain to the rear exhaust stud and attach the other end
of the chain to the front side of the generator support. Make sure that you
use washers between the chain and nuts so the chain does not pull off the
engine.

20. Jack up the transmission until the top of the transmission is almost
touching the heater plenum.

21. If you have an engine crane, attach the lift arm to the lifting chain
and raise the engine a couple of inches until the right hand engine mount is
loose and can be removed. Add it to the pile-o-parts.

22. Push the engine toward the right side of the car until it comes off the
left hand motor mount. Pull the engine to the front of the car and make sure
that it moves freely. Raise the crane and continue to pull the engine
forward until the clutch clears the transmission input shaft. When you can
see daylight around the engine, raise the crane slowly while making sure
that nothing is catching. Keep raising the engine until it is clear of the
car. Pull the crane forward and set the engine on the floor.

23. If you don't have an engine crane, it is possible to remove the engine
with a couple of strong friends and a 2X4, but I don't recommend it.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, just let me know. I will be
happy to help.

Jim

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75