[Spridgets] major motor problems

Subject: [Spridgets] major motor problems
From: aseippel at austin.rr.com (Jim Seippel)
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 22:39:34 -0600
I sent this post last night and it was bounced because of size. I have to
break it into sections. So here is Part 2. Jim

~~~~
There may be other instructions on the web, but this is the procedure that I
use. I am not aware of any video. If you have an original 948, the steps
from my memory are:

1. Disconnect the battery ground. I never actually do this step, but for
first timers, it is a good idea.

2. Remove the hood (bonnet). Open the hood and unplug the wiring at the
connectors next the firewall on the right hand side. Get a helper or two to
hold up the hood and disconnect the prop rods. Remove the 8 bolts on the
hinges and remove the hood. You should stand it up in an out of the way
place so it won't get damaged.

3. Next, drain the radiator. I just remove the lower radiator hose over a
plastic pan. If you have fresh coolant, you can save it for reuse.

4. Unscrew the temperature sending unit from the radiator. Take care not to
break the solder connection on the threaded insert. Disconnect the top and
bottom hoses from the radiator, remove the 4 bolts that attach the radiator
to the radiator supports and remove the radiator. You can put it in the
corner with the hood.

5. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core.

6. Disconnect the lower radiator hose from the water pump and from the
heater feed pipe. Put the hose with the other parts.

7. Disconnect the fuel line from the carbs. Disconnect the fuel supply line
from the fuel pump. Disconnect the intake and exhaust manifold by removing
the six nuts and associated washers. Place the carbs and intake manifold on
the left hand fender well.  You don't have to disconnect the throttle and
choke cable.

8. Disconnect the high tension coil wire from the coil.  Remove the
distributer cap and spark plug wires and add them to the pile of parts. You
don't actually have to remove the cap, but it keeps from breaking it while
you are removing the engine.

9. Disconnect the wire from the starter and then remove the two bolts that
attach the starter to the engine. Work the starter out and add it to the
pile.

10. Disconnect the 2 wires from the generator. If the coil is mounted on the
generator, disconnect the attaching band and lay the coil on the right hand
inner fender well.  Remove the tachometer drive form the back of the
generator. You can remove the generator from the engine by removing the two
mounting bolts and removing the adjusting net from the stud. It is not
really necessary to remove the generator, but it can make the job a little
easier. Add the generator to the pile.

11. Remove the small wire from the side of the distributor and make sure it
is out of the way.