Re: [Spridgets] wire wheel rear end

To: "'Leo'" <60bugeye@cebridge.net>, "'derf'" <derf247@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] wire wheel rear end
From: "Dean Hedin" <dlh2001@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 22:39:32 -0500
Leo, if you want wires on a 1/4 elliptic car, the better way is to
get a hold of the late wire axles (with hubs), remove the welch plugs
then press the axles  out of the hubs about 1/2 inch.   You then tack arc
weld the axles into the new position.  You will also have to machine them a
on the lathe to remove some material from the axles so they will not hit the
wheel bearings.

This is the best method.  It is safe because there is plenty of spline
engagement in the hubs, much more so then at the axle tips that go into the
diff.

Hunting down a '64 diff or taking a wire wheel axle housing and converting
it to 1/4 elliptic mountings is crazy.

The above method is what I have done and it works fine.  I learned it from
another Bugeye owner who did this many years ago and has had no issues.

Don't forget to put in new Welch plugs.