[Spridgets] Edward Demming

To: an5.sprite@gmail.com
Subject: [Spridgets] Edward Demming
From: Kirk Hargreaves <khargreaves2@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 14:20:41 -0800
Demming took an approach to manufacturing that was learned during WWII in
terms of how we built our bombers and other aircraft for last minute parts
availability and component building in different geographical areas. .  and
where anyone on the work force could pull a cord to stop production if they
saw something out of whack.

The process was first devised to protect our interests in terms of enemy
attack.  The idea being that the enemy would not be able to take out the
complete assembly area if under attack. .  and parts were made right up to
the point of assembly which also offered a measure of protection.

This method also created a higher quality product and as such, Gen McCarthur
worked with Demming to bring these principles to Japan. .  to help Japan get
back on its feet.

At the same time, these principles were rejected by our own auto
manufactures.  It was once said that while the bumpers were falling off our
cars during assembly, the Japanese were beginning to build quality cars and
products with a long range view to the future.  . compared to a short term
outlook.  The Japanese method involving a 45% focus on how to get a quality
product to the market with a 15% focus on R and D.  . America with 45% focus
on R and D and 15% on how to get the product built, out to market.

The Saturn plant in Kentucky was supposed to be built to follow along the
lines of the Demming approach. .  and Ford and others have purportedly
embraced these methods as well . . in an effort to build higher quality
automobiles.  Harley Davidson also, it is said, embraced the Demming process
(circa 1984) with up to the minute parts procurement as opposed to the
Shovel Head days when parts were said to be rusting on the shelves, having
sat for so long before application.

Anyone, please correct or add. .  . (all from memory of reading about
Demming). .

Kirk

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75