[Spridgets] Fouled Plugs

To: Spridgets <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Fouled Plugs
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 21:08:00 -0500
Budget Midget, 1.25 SUs as stock.
I put maybe 5 miles on the car, I fouled the plugs just setting it up
and I figured, too rich, too much choke, too much cold starting while
working on the car.
So I changed the plugs, went on the maiden voyage over the weekend,
maybe 5 miles round trip to see what might fall off, or needs attention.
When I got home it was running rough, 1& 2 cyls were dead.
Fouled plugs again. Hmmm, lean it out to where it barely runs with new
plugs and it doesn't run good.
So tonight I dug deeper, float level was fine, compression perfect, both
carbs  synched but I just couldn't understand why the front carb was way
rich until I took off the dashpot and piston to see the jet tube about
1/4" lower than it should be. WTF? I can not adjust it up, the linkage
is correct and the rear carb jet is where it should be.
After a full tear down of the carb and looking at a couple others, I
discovered the jet was 1/4 inch shorter than the others I had on hand.
So a quick rebuild of another carb and now the Midget runs absolutely
perfect. 700 rpm idle and smooth, and lots of guts on the road where it
had some hesitation before.
So are there different length .090 jets? This came in the carb, not a
new one I don't think, it looks real new but like everything else I
have, it may have been new in 72 and not used. Or, that's why I got the
carbs or whole car cheap, it had issues like short carb jets :)
So does anybody know if there are different length carb jets?
This would need a different carb body or maybe somebody hack sawed it
off back in the day.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ