[Spridgets] Harleys and parts from other countries

Subject: [Spridgets] Harleys and parts from other countries
From: khargreaves2 at gmail.com (Kirk Hargreaves)
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 09:48:14 -0800
About 40% of the parts on a modern Harley come from Japan.  This includes
the Showa suspension, shocks, etc as well as other parts.

About 30% of the parts on an "American made" Victory MC come from Italy. .
from Ducati (as told to me by the owner of a Victory Motorcycle dealer as he
pointed out the Ducati parts to me on a new bike).

When you go to a Harley run, about 20% of the bikes you will see have 45
degree V-Twins with engines made by S&S out of Viola Wisconson. .  many
without a Harley part on them at all.  Plus other V-Twin engine builders who
are also in the mix.  And these bikes also carry a number of parts made by
offshore companies.

"I ride a Harley because it is made in America" is a bit of an interesting
phrase when you consider all the parts that the Motor Company buys from
Japan, and probably some other parts from other offshore manufacturers.

Kirk
99 Road King with lowered suspension, Power Commander IIIr, Bub Pipes,
Timkin rear cam needle bearings, 1550 kit and 203 cams. .  the bike I road
daily for 7 years until I got my Sprite. I sold the bike before the strong
"buyers market" hit as hard as it is today.