[Spridgets] SKS

Subject: [Spridgets] SKS
From: jdinnis at gmail.com (John Innis)
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 12:55:26 -0600
The AR15/M16 rifles can also slam fire, but it is very rare.  The
firing pin will hit the primer any time the bolt closes, but not
normally with enough force to set it off.  Sometimes the primer goes
off anyway.  The only time I have heard of this happening in the
civilian world was more due to ammo than the rifle.  There are some
small rifle primers (Esp Remington) that have softer primer cups than
is normal for a high power rifle round.  When the firing pin hits the
primer (under its own inertia only) the primer goes off.  Sometimes
this results in a single round going off, sometimes it can result in
multiple rounds fired. Note this is normally only an issue for guy who
load their own ammo, as all the major ammo companies use hard primers
in their .223 rounds.