[Spridgets] 2010 GMC Hassles and Issues

Subject: [Spridgets] 2010 GMC Hassles and Issues
From: grday at btinternet.com (Guy R Day)
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 13:35:36 +0100
<snip> I have been told that running low on fuel too often can harm the
internal fuel pump.   Maybe some comments on this as I am not sure if this
is true or not (running low on fuel too often can cause an early demise of
your internal fuel pump)? <snip>

What is the difference between fuel at the top of the tank and that at the
bottom?  Unless you are running very funny fuel there is non.  What is at
the bottom of the tank is a layer of muck (that was polite).  Gathered from
the pumps you use to pump the fuel in, the sediments in the fuel and
unwanted residue in your tank.
If you are one of those who re-fill when the tank reaches a 1/4 full level
you will not have a muck in fuel problem unless you get really low.
If you are one of the empty the tank every time (you live near a fuel
supply!) it is also unlikely you will have a serious problem as you shift
all the muck every-time you run low on fuel.  BUT you will find your in-line
fuel filter NEEDS changing far more often.
You have no in-line fuel filter?  Tough.  All the muck at the bottom of the
tank will have to pass through your pump and the carb / injectors.  This
normally equates to wear but can also equate to blockage in the supply line
or in any component.  It can lead to a build of sludge and eventual blockage
in a low lying part of the supply pipe etc.
This holds true for any vehicle, not just a LBC or Chevy.  I cannot think of
a modern vehicle that isn't correctly filtered on the fuel supply side but
always have a quiet smile when I see the only filter situate after the pump
and next to the carb.  The primary design calls for a filtered pickup pipe
above the bottom of fuel tank that is normally washed clean by the movement
of fuel in the tank (a large(ish) surface area of filter mesh).  This is
what most Spridget tanks have (repair and cleansing methods may alter
this! ).

The demise of your pump is potentially higher if you run low fuel levels
but, if it does die, it may be showing there is also a deficit in the fuel
filtering side.

Guy R Day