[Spridgets] A (sad) tale of ethanol??

To: "spridgets_autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] A (sad) tale of ethanol??
From: Dave KK7SS <kk7ss@frontier.com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 15:22:06 +0000 (UTC)
Last year I had to use E-10 (15?) fuel in my '65 Spridget as ethanol-free
gasoline was not yet available in my area.
For whatever reason Winter came and I forgot to use Stabil and run the motor
like I usually do!
So... this week the temp went above the 50's and I went to start the Sprite
(been working on the Midget and Minor) and it would not start -- eventually I
found I had fuel at the fuel filter but dry carb throats!

After much aggravation (using some choice words!), I found that:-
1) both carb float needles were corroded and jammed shut.
2) Both carb needles were corroded with what looked like green crystals on the
surface - very rough, felt like a nail file!
3) the front piston was stuck in the chamber.

Two days work - dissassembling, careful cleaning and refitting has the motor
running (on bit the rough side) - lots of smoke!

I'm guessing I'll have to do the same for the fuel pump :(

Thank goodness I can now get ethanol-free gas!

Would I get some benefit by running some injector cleaner through the system??

--
Dave G  KK7SS
DN06ig   Richland, WA

'59 Morris Minor 1000