Re: [Spridgets] really dumb question, dont laugh

To: list Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] really dumb question, dont laugh
From: BJNoSHOV8 <bjshov8@tx.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 11:51:41 -0500
Connecting engine to transmission is always a challenge, more for a
manual transmission than an automatic, but generally you just have to
work on it a bit and they go together.  I have read that there are
difficulties beyond that which affect the LBC install, I don't know
about it personally.  If you put the engine alone in, you drop it
straight down and don't have to change the tilt.  That way you can fit
an engine into a relatively tight space between firewall and radiator
core support.  With engine/transmission together you have to tilt them
quite a bit to get the transmission to start under the firewall.  At
some point you have to rotate the assembly to be horizontal and that can
be a problem if there isn't much room front/back, which is a big problem
with pickups and traditional RWD American cars.  With the radiator out
on my Midget and everything off of the front of the engine, there is a
lot of room front to back.

> As I recall Frank preferred to install the engine with the
> transmission attached. Can anyone on the list tell me why? Is it
> because it is more difficult to line up the engine to the transmission
> on an angle like that?

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive