[Spridgets] really dumb question, dont laugh

Subject: [Spridgets] really dumb question, dont laugh
From: pfeilmat at gmail.com (Matt P)
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 10:35:49 -0700
I have done both and I have to concur with Frank's preferred way. Pull them
both. I did a clutch on a 78 that I had with tranny still in and it was a PITA
getting it all back together. I did the clutch in the 76 that I owned by
pulling both and it went a hellava lot faster! Even for my f-100 pickup. I
installed the 351C to the C-6 trans before and then installed the entire mess
in the truck. Easier than engine and tranny separate.

Matt P

Sent from my iPod

On May 30, 2011, at 6:38 AM, Linda Grunthaner <grunthaner at gmail.com> wrote:

> As I recall Frank preferred to install the engine with the transmission
> attached. Can anyone on the list tell me why? Is it because it is more
> difficult to line up the engine to the transmission on an angle like that?
> Lin
>
> On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 5:12 PM, BJNoSHOV8 <bjshov8 at tx.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> I've built a LOT of engines, and never used an engine stand.  However for
>> some things I think there might be an advantage.
>>
>> We had a couple of steel tables in our shop, made out of steel pipe, steel
>> angles, and pretty thick steel on the top.  We would set a block on the
>> table upside down.  Then install the cam bearings, cam and crankshaft.
Then