[Spridgets] Thinking of Frank--Made in America

Subject: [Spridgets] Thinking of Frank--Made in America
From: bjshov8 at tx.rr.com (BJNoSHOV8)
Date: Tue, 03 May 2011 20:59:26 -0500
I stopped buying them when I couldn't afford them anymore.

I had a small set of snap-on and carried them with me in my car.  At
some point I realized that they were too valuable to carry around and I
needed to buy more so I would have a full set of metrics.  I also
realized that some tools other than snap-on had increased their quality
enough that I would be happy using them.  I picked up various Sears sets
on sale until I had what I needed to carry in my car.  If I lost them it
would not be such a loss as losing snap-on tools.

When I started working on cars in 1970 I became a tool snob.  I would
see various tool brands that weren't made very well, they wouldn't fit
the fasteners well, they were crude and clunky, etc.  By contrast
snap-on tools were sleek and trim, but very strong, and they fit the
fasteners well.  I did not want to use anything else.  Well 25 years
later I find that Sears tools are still more crude and clunky than
snap-on, but they were strong enough and fit the fasteners well enough.
I might not use them if I was still a full time mechanic, but they work
OK for my occasional use.