[Spridgets] towing a Bugeye

Subject: [Spridgets] towing a Bugeye
From: crusaderchuck at yahoo.com (charles christ)
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 04:18:57 -0700 (PDT)
phil,

i use axle straps that are short straps with a protective sleeve on
them  .
they have d rings on both ends and can safely be wrapped around the
lower axle
where the spring attaches. (note , tie down front of your car at
the lower king
pin trunion area closest to the wheel.)  always cross tie the
car to keep the
car from moving right or left.    many choose to tie straight
back in rear , but
i've had numerous times of our wonderfull interstate roads
perfect surface give
cause to have what i thought securly tied down
......move much more than you
might think!  you'd be suprised how much a car
can "crab" right or left if not
properly secured and you do not want to find
this out with your car!

i've got a bit of interstate and back road
experience with an open trailer both
solid  deck and open center deck.
look at m&r's  site for examples of what i described above.    there are also
ratcheting tie down straps that have a d ring sewn into the end about 10
inches
or so that actually hook back into itself working similarly to the
axle strap
that can be purchased seperately.

the over the wheel type tie
down works best if you have "e" track as the anchor
 for the ratchet .
always tie down the wheel or the axle.    if you attempt to tie down the frame
or body , the car slackens and tightens the tie down straps on bumps and
usually
either disconnects the strap or chain or starts a sawing or denting
where the
strap or chain is against the frame/body.

axles and or wheels
stay in contact with trailer deck.   let the body bounce all
it wants on it's
suspension for the duration of the tow.