[Spridgets] Master cylinder

Subject: [Spridgets] Master cylinder
From: aseippel at austin.rr.com (Jim Seippel)
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 22:35:52 -0500
The original hydraulic clutch system on the Spridgets is self adjusting. The
slave cylinder piston retracted just enough to keep the release bearing in
the immediate proximity of the pressure plate. This worked because of a lack
of a return spring on the release bearing arm. The pressure plate pushed the
slave cylinder piston back.

Since the Datsun release bearing arm assembly incorporates a return spring,
the slave cylinder piston is always fully retracted at rest. Depressing the
master cylinder moves the slave cylinder from a fully retracted position.
That means that the piston in the slave cylinder must move some amount
before the release bearing contacts the pressure plate. This lost motion is
likely why the clutch will not release.

IMHO, the answer is to use an adjustable rod on the slave cylinder and
adjust it to where you have about 1/8 to 1/4 inch of free play between the
release bearing and the pressure plate with the system at  rest. I don't
believe this is an issue with cylinder diameter. Rather, it is a clutch
adjustment problem.

If you don't have and adjustable slave cylinder rod, I believe that Gerard
has them available.
Jim