Re: [Spridgets] ethanol

To: "'Woerpel'" <dwoerpel@wi.net>, "'SPRIDGETS'"
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] ethanol
From: "Dean Hedin" <dlh2001@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 01:50:01 -0400
How old was the pump?

I don't doubt that ethanol has an impact.  I just don't believe
the problem is as bad as made out to be.

By definition that guy in the video is working on 40+ year old cars.
Of course he is going to see a lot of dried out rubber.

It doesn't mean the ethanol did it.

Ethanol most certainly did not rot out his vacuum advance diaphragm either.
That was just age.

Shellac painted cork floats, yeah, that is probably an issue with ethanol.
But even after 40 years in gas I wouldn't trust them.

Just plain air will rot rubber and old cars often sit for protracted periods
of time and the fuel evaporates out of the carbs.  The next thing you know
the rubber is dried out.

I need to see something more scientific.  Like some sort of accelerated life
test.

The only solid data I have heard about was ethanol's negative impact on
certain plastics.  Not rubber.