[Spridgets] ethanol

Subject: [Spridgets] ethanol
From: dlh2001 at comcast.net (Dean Hedin)
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 22:27:06 -0400
Bill L said...
     "I've had no problems with fuel lines, pump,
     carbs or anything else. The car sits most of the winter in an
     unheated garage, though I do try to drive it at least once a
     month."

Agreed, I think the real key is to not let the car sit for an extended
period of time, no matter what you're running in it.  As soon as fuel starts
evaporating you are going to run into trouble.

I've rebuilt a lot of 2 stroke carburetors in my time and there is one thing
I have learned...

Rubber diaphragms suck.  They sucked before ethanol and they suck with
ethanol.

Even in there heyday mechanical diaphragm fuel pumps never really lasted
very long.  They were always getting a small pinhole or tear in them
somewhere.

That's why I was wondering how old Woerpel's pump was.

I am more concerned about Kevin V.'s comments on having to replace
fuel line 3 times in one year.  He makes it sound like it's the Andromeda
strain.  I don't doubt him.  But that is not what I have experienced.
Maybe he is getting E85 as opposed to the 5-10% blends in my area?

I replaced all my rubber fuel hose almost 3 years ago. For the most part
I've been running Sunoco premium with Bardal's lead substitute additive.
I make the effort to run the car every weekend, even through the winter.

I do notice the car is harder to start after sitting for a week, and this I
attribute to fuel evaporation in the carbs.

I have a clear fuel filter up by the carbs and I have not seen anything
unusual. There is about 1 foot of rubber hose back by the electric pump near
the tank.  There is still the line connecting the carbs. If that is
deteriorating then I would probably see stuff in the float bowls.

So, given Kevin V.'s comments, I am going to drop the float bowls in a few
weeks and take a look and see what's in there.  If I see even a bit of
rubber blackness then I will become a believer.