[Spridgets] Condensers

Subject: [Spridgets] Condensers
From: thcollin at mtu.edu (Tim Collins)
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 20:19:51 -0000
I recently read an interesting write up titled; "Condenser Failure in
Conventional Ignition Systems." Found it in the British Car Forum
Tiki so it is specific to the condensers we use in our cars. The
author does an autopsy on 3 condensers to learn how and why they
fail. (warning: graphic pictures) He then suggests a method for using
an external, modern, reliable capacitor. He admits the setup doesn't
look "nice" but it works and may be worth making one just to have
with you on a trip.

Question. When a capacitor fails won't our cars continue to run? (but
the points erode at an accelerated rate) right or wrong?

I wanted to check the team.net/archive, but the last few times I've
tried I can't get a connection. Anyone else having trouble?

Tim Collins
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12702006 at N07/sets/