[Spridgets] Ribcase noises

Subject: [Spridgets] Ribcase noises
From: tncarnut1 at yahoo.com (David Booker)
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 10:37:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: David Riker <davriker at nwi.net>

If
the "knock" sound is very rhythmic and matches the speed, I'd guess chipped or
broken tooth on the 1st gear of the lay shaft.  At some time, someone slammed
it into 1st while rolling.  Other than the noise, it shouldn't cause a
catastrophic event.  Just remember that 1st gear is only to be used from a
dead stop, and only to get the car rolling.  Shift into 2nd a.s.a.p., and
enjoy.
David R.

Thanks David. Yes, the noise is rythmic and increases with
speed. I was wondering if it was something like a broken tooth or cog or
whatever other magical component might be in there. Is Reverse also on that
same shaft? I ask because the same knocking happens when in reverse.
Transmissions have always been like a box full of smoke and mirrors to
me...not sure exactly what goes on inside. Then again, I've never opened one
up. Maybe I would look in there and the lightbulb would illuminate above my
head. (maybe not, but it's a good thought)

I guess that means I need to
start looking for a tranny to install this coming fall/winter. Guess I
should also investigate the possibility of stepping up to a 5 speed. I have a
friend in Texas who uses an old Datsun 4 speed tranny in his. Apparently a
similar unit to the 5-speed that came in the late 70's 310 we all know about.
He loves it. Believe he said it was basically just an upgrade in that all
gears are synchronized and the unit is indestructable. Good things indeed.

Thoughts anybody?  Not sure how much the conversion parts cost...

 - David
Booker
Long Island