[Spridgets] Ribcase noises

Subject: [Spridgets] Ribcase noises
From: pixelsmith at gerardsgarage.com (Gerard)
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 11:59:47 -0700
David,

David R's diagnosis is correct. The reason you hear the noise in
reverse is that there is a 3rd gear, called an idler gear, that when
introduced into first gear, causes the rotation to be reversed. It's
on a different shaft, but uses the same 1st gear teeth, as well as the
teeth on the laygear. If you damage one, the other two are typically
damaged as well.

The 4 speed Datsun gearbox from the '79-'82 210, also known as B310,
will indeed bolt up to the same adapter plate as the 5 speed. It's a
smaller gearbox, cheap to acquire, and easy to install as far as fit.

You can contact me off list for info on the kit.

http://gerardsgarage.com/Garage/Tech/5speedKit.htm

Gerard