[Spridgets] Metalurgical bearing type question

Subject: [Spridgets] Metalurgical bearing type question
From: WeslakeMonza1330 at aol.com (WeslakeMonza1330 at aol.com)
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 14:39:17 -0400 (EDT)
Hi list,

I have an oilite bush in a suspension component where I'd rather use a
polyurethane bush.  I can't get a poly bush in the right size and it seems
more awkward to file than metal.

The oilite bush appears to have a relatively short life as nothing spins or
 turns in it and it's subject to impact loading (as you'd expect in
suspension).

I was tempted to have some Phospher bronze bushes made up but it seems that
 apart from being able to hopefully have a slightly tighter tolerance
(maybe a  couple of thou') there's not much to be gained.

So, what metal should I be looking for to have bearings made from?  Am  I
correct in thinking that Brass being an alloy of Copper and Zinc is harder
than Bronze which is an alloy of Copper and Tin?

I'm guess that the loading will be such that Nylatron or some other hard
plastic simply won't be strong enough?

Regards

Weslake-Monza 1330