Re: [Spridgets] as long as the list is slow

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] as long as the list is slow
From: Rick Bastedo <rbastedo@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 11:17:01 -0800
I started homebrewing in 1978.
Funny when I look back on it, used an open top 5 gallon crock with malt and
hops and water and yeast.
Laid a plastic cover over it just to keep most of the extraneous "stuff"
out.
That was a great top fermenting lager as I remember it.
Now I might not even want to try it but back then it was ambrosia.

I recently discovered I have a great intolerance to gluten, therefore beer.
I was pretty bummed out about this until just recently when I finally
thought "what about hard cider?".
I have the kegs and the fridge and the CO2 with the regulators and I'm just
so completely set up for this.
So, not knowing any better (sometimes that is a good thing) I went to the
store and bought 5 gallons of Tree Top apple juice and four or five frozen
concentrated cans of Tree Top.
I chose Tree Top because of the commercially available apple juices out
there they are the only ones I could find that display right on the front
"Made only from apples grown in the USA".
So I went to my nearby wine & beer making shop and bought a new airlock and
rubber stopper (with the hole in it for the airlock) and a package of
Wyeast Cider Yeast.
Went home, activated the yeast and put all the juices in the carboy.
Once the yeast pouch was getting nice and puffy I opened it up and pitched
it in.
Fermentation began rapidly, and went on for a week.
I racked it out into a clean carboy (I own several) and let it run for
another week.
By the end of the 2nd week it was clearing pretty nicely so I racked it
into a keg.
Hooked up the CO2, gave it some shakes and let it sit a few days.
This was at Christmas time, so I had nice bubbly hard cider for my guests
who came for Christmas dinner.
That was so good I decided to do it again.
Like any good brewer worth his salt I save packets of yeast from a good
batch, the Wyeast people say this will work fine up through about 7
generations.
The second batch came out even better than the first.

I know it would be better if I had a cider press and juiced my own apples
yada yada.
You can't argue with results however, and this stuff was great!

Ok, there you go - hope all you guys and gals hunkered down for the storm
are well stocked and stay warm and dry.

Rick Bastedo

From: Jim Johnson <bmwwxman@gmail.com>

Now if you fellows were home brewers you'd have some beer in your constant
42F kegerator...

Cheers!!
Jim - 5 gals of my Double IPA and 5 gals of my Snake Snot Stout in the
cooler with 5 gals of Amber Ale in the fermentor.

spridgets@autox.team.net

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive