Re: [Spridgets] as long as the list is slow

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] as long as the list is slow
From: "GUY DAY" <grday@btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 00:22:01 -0000
My in-laws used to live in Devon (UK) where they were making cider a couple
of weeks before Bodicea or Boudicca (Buddug if you are Welsh) learnt to
drive her chariot.  I was down with them one summer a good few years ago
when we visited one of the old time farmers who used to make his own cider.
Cloudy, a wisp of froth round the edges of the mug and served at whatever
the outside temperature was.  Just a gill of that sent me walking in spirals
and with a tongue thickening between my lips I asked how he made it.
"Get the windfalls", came the reply, "put them in a sack (he was talking of
a large hessian or gunny sack) and hang then up from the rafters in the
cellar.  When they've been there for a week or so put a half leg of pork in
the middle of them and then a funnel underneath to drain into the barrel.
Leave it and come late on in the New Year around Gwenton you'll have a brew
to put hairs on your chest", he said, looking lustily down my wife's
stretched low neck tee-shirt.
I've heard of this way of making cider from a couple of sources although the
pork  was now beef and could well have been lamb and one year thought I
would have a go.  I'd got a sack full of apples from this chap and was
driving home from Devon in a hired panel van with a roller shutter door.  On
the way back the catch came loose, the door vibrated open and the sack of
apples slumped onto the van floor.   So if any-one found a trail of squashed
apples along the M5 northbound leading onto the M6 and the M62 that was
going to be my home brewed cider.

I never did go back for more.

Good fortune to you all,

Guy R Day