Re: [Spridgets] Brake Hoses - Time to change them

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Brake Hoses - Time to change them
From: Bob Spruck <mgmaven@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 18:14:03 -0500
Since most of our Spridgets are not daily drivers and we use them only
sporadically, I would strongly recommend that when you replace the brake
hoses, that you install braided ones rather than plain rubber ones.
Sure, they are more expensive, but they hold up much longer and don't
exhibit the internal degradation like the stock ones do over time. The
stainless steel braid protects the rubber internal hose from the
elements and from kinks. Last time I bought them for my occasional
driver '72 they cost about $85 for a set of two fronts and one rear.

Everyone I know who vintage races a Spridget (including me and my '67)
uses the braided lines on their car  because a race car sits idle even
more than a street car although usually in a protected, indoor environment.

Cheap insurance against brake problems or failure.

Hose clamps are definitely not a good idea.

Bob Spruck
SafetyFast Vintage Race Team

spridgets@autox.team.net

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive