Re: [Spridgets] I think my car is haunted, backstory

To: spridgets list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] I think my car is haunted, backstory
From: brian S <bugeye15@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 00:17:24 -0400
A little background on why I think it's haunted, other than just the recent
electrical problem.

This car was my Aunt and Dad's HP race car from the 60's and 70's.
Dad had started to restore it back in thelate 80's, early 90's. He got cancer
and passed away in 1998.
I had to fight to get it from my Stepmother and the executor of the will.
Many years and ALOT of help from this list, I got it restored.

This car is now on it's 4th engine!
First engine;
Big main 1098 that was in the car when I got it.
Some mods to it, big cam, head ported, LCB, HS2's.
Ran great, lot's of power. Drove it for a while.
First problem, Blew a head gasket, burned a line between cylinder's.
Repaired, (welded) and head rebuilt. Within 15 minutes of reinstalling,
snapped an intake valve
at the top and holed a piston.   Crap
Engine 2
Another 1098 that Phil Nase (Thanks again, Phil!) was kind enough to lend me
while
I came up with another engine. ran great for a while, then blew a head gasket.
Head cracked.
Got another head, rebuilt it. Engine ran fine. Gave it back to Phil.
Engine 3.
Got another 1098, this time from Mike Rowe, ( Thank's MIke!)
Mildy modded, but not much known of it's history. Ran well, although had lot's
of rust
in the water passages. I had been working on getting them cleaned out.
Great oil pressure, I never ran it over 6000 rpm, when a couple of weeks ago,
cruising along  at 4500rpm ( about 60 with the 4.22's and 185/60s) and BIG
BANG!
Blew a hole in the side of the block. Apparently snapped the crank on this
small main 1098.
Sorry Mike!
So, no more 1098's for me. I think the rest of the car hates them....

 A 1275 and Datsun 5 speed, from a well known, but not necessarily well liked
by some,
British engine builder, gotten for a song, via Craigslist, a month or so ago,
was installed a couple of weeks ago.
Had been very happy so far, just breaking it in, then this.

Brian S.
Bugeyeracer finally resto'ed!
Thanks to Frank C.!