[Spridgets] Engine knock

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spridgets] Engine knock
From: Michael Rowe via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 11:07:11 -0500

--===============7256301676072586258==
 boundary="Boundary_(ID_ncx3AXDZ7w+FHNtjW+JTUw)"

--Boundary_(ID_ncx3AXDZ7w+FHNtjW+JTUw)

I am finally getting around  to looking at the 1098 engine I pulled from the
Holy Sprite because it was  making fatal knocking noises somewhere in the rear.
 (Note that this does not mean that the @#$% new  engine has started!)  I
thought that it might be inadequate torquing and/or a broken bearing.  There
are no pieces in the pan.  Maybe a bent valve shaft.

The valve cover and pan are  off, and I  can easily turn the engine over with a
wrench.  I find nothing obviously loose or otherwise amiss.  It does not rattle
when turned sharply back and forth.

Is there something that might knock under load when the engine is running well,
but not under no load on the stand?  If I take the head off, will valve
problems be obvious?

Michael Rowe
The Holy Sprite

--Boundary_(ID_ncx3AXDZ7w+FHNtjW+JTUw)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 9.00.8112.16599">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>I am finally getting around&nbsp; to looking at the 1098
engine I pulled from the Holy Sprite because it was&nbsp; making fatal knocking
noises somewhere in the rear.&nbsp; (Note that this does not mean that the @#$%
new&nbsp; engine has started!)&nbsp; I thought that it might be&nbsp;inadequate
torquing and/or&nbsp;a&nbsp;broken bearing.&nbsp; There are no&nbsp;pieces in
the pan.&nbsp; Maybe a bent valve shaft.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>The valve cover and pan are&nbsp; off, and I&nbsp; can
easily turn the engine over with a wrench.&nbsp; I find nothing obviously loose
or otherwise amiss.&nbsp; It does not rattle when turned sharply back and
forth.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>Is there something that might knock under load when the
engine is running well, but not under no load on the stand?&nbsp; If I take the
head off, will valve problems be obvious?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>Michael Rowe</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>The Holy Sprite</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

spridgets@autox.team.net

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============7256301676072586258==--