[Spridgets] SU rebuild time

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] SU rebuild time
From: Mike Rambour via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 08:26:14 -0700
  Ok, new son-in-law is trying to get his toy running and some of the
parts have been sitting for years out in the rain.

  First up, the SU carbs.  I have NEVER played with a SU except minor
tuning or to replace with a Weber, this time we are sticking with SU's.
Yes, they sat in the rain 2 years at least of course barrels up and were
frozen solid, using wooden dowel and some brass punches we got them
apart after letting them soak in Kroil for a week.  I think everything
is re-buildable.

  One of the issues we came up with is that the dashpot plunger was
stuck in the carb, we finally got most of it out but it left the piston
(for lack of a better name) in the hole, I guess we pulled too hard and
snapped off the little circlip and now what ? Its really stuck in there
and its in there deep.  Can't get to it from the other side so not sure
what to do.  I was thinking of trying to get a screw into it and pull it
but that of course implies I can get a new one, I suppose I could drill
it out also but that requires more accuracy than I might be able to do
but I do have a lathe/mill I could use for the task. (it seems my
machining tends to be +/- 0.25" accuracy not a typo :)  )

  We got the full blown rebuild kit on its way, everything we should
need and tonight I will glass bead everything but that plunger in there
is a problem.  Also not knowing better what is in that housing that the
dashpot plunger goes into ? the other side has the long needle sticking
out is there supposed to be a opening from one side to the next besides
the obvious 2 holes on the side, there is hex screw looking thing near
the 2 holes, should I remove that and what is it ?  I am hoping that in
the super duper $200 rebuild kit is a new needle because i damaged one
getting it out (after removing the screw on the side).   The carbs came
off a 1098 and are going on his 1275 as soon as we put it together :)

  We have a issue with the head on the 1275 right now, the brass insert
between cylinders 2&3 is recessed causing a head gasket leak and
allowing water into the cylinders, even the insert leaks so I have to
find a shop that is trustworthy here in S. Calif. to get it out, thread
a new insert and machine it.  Getting down the last few details and
maybe this motor will be together in a month.

  Mike

--
A gun is like a parachute, if you need one but don't have it,
you'll probably never need one again.

spridgets@autox.team.net

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive