Re: [Spridgets] SU rebuild time

Subject: Re: [Spridgets] SU rebuild time
From: Hal Faulkner via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 14:56:46 -0700
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>

--001a114c8f92d3826405354414e2

Mike,
Yellow bible is David Vizard's book om tuning the A Series engine.
You can probably get the info you need *re*, which needle to use from APT,
who are in your neck of the woods.  David Anton who owns APT was David
Vizard's partner in the early days.   They can also supply you with
Vizard's book.  I personally would recommend NOT buying it as it would
likely delay your project by years and cost you thousands of dollars. Don't
ask me how I know!
Hal

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 7:51 AM, Mike Rambour via Spridgets <
spridgets@autox.team.net> wrote:

>  Yup, it does not include the needle, so now I have to hunt those down.
> Going with "standard" cams/porting/pistons, etc. and bore is only ten over,
> nothing hot, just a good runner we hope.
>
>  I am worried about the piston and inner surface of the dashpot, I know
> better than to glass bead those areas but they have corrosion on them and I
> will clean that up differently but it may be more corrosion than I can
> clean up and still use the parts.  We will see, I taped off the piston
> parts and inside of the dashpot along with some other areas I was not sure
> of and also used some silicone plugs for some of the holes in the carbs and
> started blasting them last night, outsides look GOOD now :)
>
>  Ok, what is the yellow bible ? guess I need yet another manual :)
>
>     mike
>
> On 6/13/2016 6:40 PM, Hal Faulkner via Spridgets wrote:
>
>> Mike, The re-build kit probably doesn't include the needle. Needles for a
>> 1098 will probably not be correct for a 1275, and different cams/porting
>> will also require different needles.  Check the "Yellow Bible" for more
>> information.
>> Be very careful about the glass beading.  The inner surface of the
>> dashpot mates withe the piston to be part of the acceleration enrichment:
>> if you mess with the mating surfaces you may change the action and this
>> could throw your two carbs out of balance.
>> Can't help you with getting the "piston" out.
>> Good luck,
>> Hal
>>

> --
> A gun is like a parachute, if you need one but don't have it,
> you'll probably never need one again.
>
> ------------------------
>
> spridgets@autox.team.net
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/frog.aye@gmail.com

--001a114c8f92d3826405354414e2

&#39;s book om tuning the A Series engine.<br></div>You can probably get th=
e info you need <i>re</i>, which needle to use from APT, who are in your ne=
ck of the woods.=C2=A0 David Anton who owns APT was David Vizard&#39;s part=
ner in the early days. =C2=A0 They can also supply you with Vizard&#39;s bo=
ok.=C2=A0 I personally would recommend NOT buying it as it would likely del=
ay your project by years and cost you thousands of dollars. Don&#39;t ask m=
a"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 7:51 AM, Mike Ram=
bour via Spridgets <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:spridgets@autox.=
team.net" target=3D"_blank">spridgets@autox.team.net</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<=
br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left=
:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><br>
=C2=A0Yup, it does not include the needle, so now I have to hunt those down=
.=C2=A0 Going with &quot;standard&quot; cams/porting/pistons, etc. and bore=
 is only ten over, nothing hot, just a good runner we hope.<br>
=C2=A0I am worried about the piston and inner surface of the dashpot, I kno=
w better than to glass bead those areas but they have corrosion on them and=
 I will clean that up differently but it may be more corrosion than I can c=
lean up and still use the parts.=C2=A0 We will see, I taped off the piston =
parts and inside of the dashpot along with some other areas I was not sure =
of and also used some silicone plugs for some of the holes in the carbs and=
 started blasting them last night, outsides look GOOD now :)<br>
=C2=A0Ok, what is the yellow bible ? guess I need yet another manual :)<spa=
n class=3D"HOEnZb"><font color=3D"#888888"><br>
On 6/13/2016 6:40 PM, Hal Faulkner via Spridgets wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
Mike, The re-build kit probably doesn&#39;t include the needle. Needles for=
 a 1098 will probably not be correct for a 1275, and different cams/porting=
 will also require different needles.=C2=A0 Check the &quot;Yellow Bible&qu=
ot; for more information.<br>
Be very careful about the glass beading.=C2=A0 The inner surface of the das=
hpot mates withe the piston to be part of the acceleration enrichment: if y=
ou mess with the mating surfaces you may change the action and this could t=
hrow your two carbs out of balance.<br>
Can&#39;t help you with getting the &quot;piston&quot; out.<br>
Good luck,<br>
Hal<br>
-- <br>
A gun is like a parachute, if you need one but don&#39;t have it,<br>
you&#39;ll probably never need one again.<br>
------------------------<br>
ox.team.net</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>