Re: [Spridgets] Diagnostic question

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Diagnostic question
From: Jeff via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2016 23:55:54 -0500
--===============3711019104884611546==
 boundary="------------6D6A80839FB4E4F9EC4579B7"

--------------6D6A80839FB4E4F9EC4579B7

What would happen if by pulling the start cable, and the starter goes
directly to ground/earth. Thus pulling all current thru the short.

Jeff Kelly

On 7/2/2016 10:56 PM, Ron Soave via Spridgets wrote:
> What's up with the gas gauge, though? There isn't a milliamp left to
> keep that needle ticking?
>
> Ron Soave
>
> On Jul 2, 2016, at 10:46 PM, crusaderchuck55@aol.com
>
>> Vehicular electronics 101:
>>
>> The starter motor is the only device that in it's operation draws a
>> full 12 volts. So if you have dirty battery terminals there is
>> excessive resistance And any corrosion or dirt in following
>> connections from the battery to the starter , power at the starter is
>> compromised.  If the starter brushes are excessively worn or one of
>> the brush springs are broken the starter will not respond correctly
>> to your "start" request.  A serious situation could have the armature
>> binding in the bushings it rides in.  Its time to go hunting for what
>> is wrong.   When you find it you'll be amazed how small & simple the
>> offending problem is for how much grief it provides before detection
>> & repair.
>>
>> Chuck.
>>

>> Sent from my LG Mobile

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      goes directly to ground/earth. Thus pulling all current thru the
      short.</p>
      Spridgets wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:AB9667EE-9943-4145-82AE-D787DA400145@yahoo.com"
      type="cite">
        charset=windows-1252">
        left to keep that needle ticking?<br>
        Ron Soave</div>
        On Jul 2, 2016, at 10:46 PM, <a moz-do-not-send="true"
          href="mailto:crusaderchuck55@aol.com";>crusaderchuck55@aol.com</a>
        via Spridgets &lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"

href="mailto:spridgets@autox.team.net";>spridgets@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
        wrote:<br>
            charset=windows-1252">
              electronics 101:</p>
              starter motor is the only device that in it's operation
              draws a full 12 volts. So if you have dirty battery
              terminals there is excessive resistance And any corrosion
              or dirt in following connections from the battery to the
              starter , power at the starter is compromised.  If the
              starter brushes are excessively worn or one of the brush
              springs are broken the starter will not respond correctly
              to your "start" request.  A serious situation could have
              the armature binding in the bushings it rides in.  Its
              time to go hunting for what is wrong.   When you find it
              you'll be amazed how small &amp; simple the offending
              problem is for how much grief it provides before detection
              &amp; repair.</p>
              style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;">Sent from my LG
              Mobile</div>
              style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;">
                Original message------</p>
                </b>rrengineer.mike via
Spridgets<spridgets@autox.team.net></spridgets@autox.team.net></p>
                </b>Sat, Jul 2, 2016 7:24 PM</p>
                </b>Pboser Yahoo<a moz-do-not-send="true"

href="mailto:;spridgets@autox.team.net";>;spridgets@autox.team.net</a>;</p>
style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;"><b>Subject:</b>Re:
                [Spridgets] Diagnostic question</p>
              on the battery and the cable connectors, charge the
              battery overnight on one of those float chargers. Simply
              driving the car will not bring it back up all the way.  If
              the problem persists, clean all connections to the starter
              on both ends and try again, THEN you can think about the
              starter as the culprit. At this point, pull the starter
              and put 12 volts directly to it with jumper cables.  If
              she spins up, your battery is probably crap.  Or, get the
              battery tested first.  I have found 75 to 80% of the time
              corrosion on the battery terminals cause this kind of
              symptoms.</div>
                via the Samsung GALAXY S® 5, an AT&amp;T 4G LTE
                smartphone</div>
            -------- Original message --------<br>
            My 59 Bugeye spends most of the time in the garage, but I
            periodically get to drag it out. Although it has had a weak
            battery, it usually charges up and comes to life. However, I
            am having a starter problem and I'm looking for help to
            diagnose it.<br>
            First of all, be aware that the car will run start and run
            fine if I push start it.<br>
            However, when I pull on the starter knob, the gas gauge goes
            to zero but the starter doesn't function. <br>
            Any thoughts on diagnosing the problem? I'm getting tired of
            push- starting! It's too flat around here!<br>
            Thanks,<br>
            Pete<br>
            Sent from my iPhone<br>
            Sent from my iPhone<br>
            ------------------------<br>
            <a moz-do-not-send="true"

href="mailto:spridgets@autox.team.net";>spridgets@autox.team.net</a><br>
            Donate: <a moz-do-not-send="true"

href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";>http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
            Suggested annual donation: $12.75<br>
            Archive: <a moz-do-not-send="true"

href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
            Forums: <a moz-do-not-send="true"

href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
            Unsubscribe/Manage: http<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/rrengineer.mike@att.net";>://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/rrengineer.mike@att.net</a><br>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:spridgets@autox.team.net";>spridgets@autox.team.net</a>

href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>
</pre>

--===============3711019104884611546==--