Re: [Spridgets] Fwd: confirm “long string of numbers”

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Fwd: confirm “long string of numbers”
From: Mark J Bradakis via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2019 02:59:43 -0700
On 12/3/19 2:34 PM, Larry Macy via Spridgets wrote:
> I got this at 6 am. I didnâ??t request removal?
>
> Not my IP, I donâ??t think.
>
> Mark, any idea what happened?
>
> Larry

It happens often.  Basically people don't put the few extra seconds of
editing effort into their replies.  Those on the real time list get
messages with a personalized "Unsubscribe/Manage" URL at the very bottom
of each message.  People reply to messages and do not edit out the
trailer lines, so these personalized URLs get sent out to everyone on
the list, and through various mechanisms become widely available to the
public.  Scumbag hackers who have nothing better to do than annoy folks
click on these links, but it doesn't accomplish anything as there is a
further step involved, which is sending an email to the address for
confirmation.

Annoying but harmless.

mjb.

spridgets@autox.team.net