Re: [Spridgets] Cooling fan thoughts

To: "crusaderchuck55@aol.com" <crusaderchuck55@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Cooling fan thoughts
From: HealeyRick via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2019 15:10:41 -0500
Cc: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "EasternOshitGroup@groups.io" <EasternOshitGroup@groups.io>

--0000000000001f97f90599c3b1f5

Chuck,

How about using one of these adjustable controls with a probe that inserts
between the radiator fins:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-16759/overview/  I use one on my
Nasty Boy, works good.

Rick Neville

On Sat, Dec 14, 2019 at 6:00 PM crusaderchuck55--- via Spridgets <
spridgets@autox.team.net> wrote:

> First , thank everyone for positive input on this.
> I am installing the temp. gauge sender in the cylinder head.
> Years ago I had a 1940 Chevy coupe street rod.   It had a Flexilite brand
> adjustable temperature sensor to turn on the cooling fan.  It's sensor bu=
lb
> went into a rubber arc'd piece that allowed the sensor to be placed into
> coolant where a radiator hose slpped onto a hose nipple.   I had it locat=
ed
> at the thermostat housing.   I'm leaning towards something like that.
>  Most modern temperature sensors are designed for 195=C2=B0 as an initial=
 "on"
> temperature.   Also most I could find at the local junk yard are going to
> be very modern and the bung they screw into would be a plastic radiator.
>  I'm using a stock 1275 cross flow radiator.  If I had a decent temp swit=
ch
> ( 180=C2=B0 or lower?) And a copper/ brass bun g , I could solder it into=
 the
> radiator end tank.  Or possibly into the lower coolant cross tube .   Yes=
> know the hotter coolant is on top not on the bottom.   Possibly on top of
> the thermostat housing , although the rear of head heater tap is going to
> be a bypass up to the thermostat housing which may make that casting a bi=
> "busy" for a thermostatic switch mount.  Those cast iron cross flow
> thermostat housings are awfully heavy and rather thin in the domed area
> over the thermostat.   I'd use an alloy one of I had one that pointed the
> right way....  As of this writing I'm committed to using the cast iron on=
> and brazing a 90=C2=B0 fitting on top for the coolant bypass back to the =
heater
> port on the head.  I'd love to do it with AN fittings and cool braided ho=
se
> , considering the "we tight" budget , that's not happening.
> My radiator guy is 1.5 hours away and he might have a copper or brass bun=
> ( he mu st have 500+ junk radiator that he uses for pieces to modify
> radiators for customers) but too far to drive on a gamble.  I could shop
> old foreign cars in our local pick-N-pull ( our "breakers") and test them
> for what temperature they make contact to close a circut.  Somewhere I
> remember the old VW's ( rabbit & Scirocco days) had pretty reliable sendi=
ng
> units.   I need to do some research looking into early electric cooling f=
an
> system operating temperatures or pressures ( higher pressure systems
> traditionally were higher temperature systems from past experiences).
> [...]

ustable controls with a probe that inserts between the radiator fins:=C2=A0=
=C2=A0<a href=3D"https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-16759/overview/";>ht=
tps://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-16759/overview/</a>=C2=A0 I use one on=
t, Dec 14, 2019 at 6:00 PM crusaderchuck55--- via Spridgets &lt;<a href=3D"=
mailto:spridgets@autox.team.net";>spridgets@autox.team.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br=
border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">

for positive input on this.</div><div dir=3D"auto">I am installing the temp=
. gauge sender in the cylinder head.=C2=A0 =C2=A0</div><div dir=3D"auto">Ye=
ars ago I had a 1940 Chevy coupe street rod.=C2=A0 =C2=A0It had a Flexilite=
 brand adjustable temperature sensor to turn on the cooling fan.=C2=A0 It&#=
39;s sensor bulb went into a rubber arc&#39;d piece that allowed the sensor=
 to be placed into coolant where a radiator hose slpped onto a hose nipple.=
=C2=A0 =C2=A0I had it located at the thermostat housing.=C2=A0 =C2=A0I&#39;=
m leaning towards something like that.=C2=A0 =C2=A0Most modern temperature =
sensors are designed for 195=C2=B0 as an initial &quot;on&quot; temperature=
.=C2=A0 =C2=A0Also most I could find at the local junk yard are going to be=
 very modern and the bung they screw into would be a plastic radiator.=C2=
=A0 =C2=A0I&#39;m using a stock 1275 cross flow radiator.=C2=A0 If I had a =
decent temp switch ( 180=C2=B0 or lower?) And a copper/ brass bun
 g , I could solder it into the radiator end tank.=C2=A0 Or possibly into t=
he lower coolant cross tube .=C2=A0 =C2=A0Yes I know the hotter coolant is =
on top not on the bottom.=C2=A0 =C2=A0Possibly on top of the thermostat hou=
sing , although the rear of head heater tap is going to be a bypass up to t=
he thermostat housing which may make that casting a bit &quot;busy&quot; fo=
r a thermostatic switch mount.=C2=A0 Those cast iron cross flow thermostat =
housings are awfully heavy and rather thin in the domed area over the therm=
ostat.=C2=A0 =C2=A0I&#39;d use an alloy one of I had one that pointed the r=
ight way....=C2=A0 As of this writing I&#39;m committed to using the cast i=
ron one and brazing a 90=C2=B0 fitting on top for the coolant bypass back t=
o the heater port on the head.=C2=A0 I&#39;d love to do it with AN fittings=
 and cool braided hose , considering the &quot;we tight&quot; budget , that=
&#39;s not happening.=C2=A0 =C2=A0</div><div dir=3D"auto">My radiator guy i=
s 1.5 hours away and he might have a copper or brass bung ( he mu
 st have 500+ junk radiator that he uses for pieces to modify radiators for=
 customers) but too far to drive on a gamble.=C2=A0 I could shop old foreig=
n cars in our local pick-N-pull ( our &quot;breakers&quot;) and test them f=
or what temperature they make contact to close a circut.=C2=A0 Somewhere I =
remember the old VW&#39;s ( rabbit &amp; Scirocco days) had pretty reliable=
 sending units.=C2=A0 =C2=A0I need to do some research looking into early e=
lectric cooling fan system operating temperatures or pressures ( higher pre=
ssure systems traditionally were higher temperature systems from past exper=

ox.team.net</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets"; rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets</a>=C2=A0 <a=
 href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank=