Re: [Spridgets] Trunk lid hinges ?

To: "crusaderchuck55@aol.com" <crusaderchuck55@aol.com> yqJbVXWAtGHbI5vRb18sVappXloRNvkB8EhFOFRzTOXTsi33kuoUpW4zkdC4fM7yjJcNwn9VyG5m2cFOjOzoTZwD1FDhRXC9ZlRn5jb7AWaPINmLL3QK7LM7 Ce/OtMSPuJQtrzaJOHBd2A==
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Trunk lid hinges ?
From: Rick Fisk via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 09:27:19 -0400
Cc: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "EasternOshitGroup@groups.io" <EasternOshitGroup@groups.io>

--Apple-Mail-31F44D38-72C0-4861-BCCC-F0B2B5DED5A8
        charset=utf-8

Chuck,

The hinge on the left is bent and the shim is an attempt to fix it.  Like yo=
u suspect, someone tried to close the lid without releasing the lid support.=
  I have fixed this issue on two Midgets with this procedure - open the latc=
h, stand on the left side of the car and raise the lid a few inches with you=
r right hand.  Hold the lid open with your right hand and with the palm of y=
our left hand push down on the lid sharply right at the left hinge location.=
  Do this a few times and you can get the hinge to bend back to the proper s=
hape.

Rick

Sent from my keyboard

> On Apr 29, 2020, at 2:03 AM, crusaderchuck55--- via Spridgets <spridgets@a=
utox.team.net> wrote:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BF
> Try to not ramble..too much.
> Before the Midget got painted , the trunk lid was not bolted on the hinges=
.  I simply put it on the car and it fit all the way around with no high or l=
ow spots.  Fast forward.  Painted the car with trunk lid off & painted the l=
id separately.    Paint dries and I bolt the lid on and put a new weatherstr=
ip on the body .   close the lid and it fits the opening but sits high on th=
e left side. =20
> Today I had the car outside and I was checking my completed work on the fa=
brication and installation of the fuel cell and noticed something I never sa=
w before.  The left hinge is shimmed which would move it downward .   I neve=
r saw a spridget trunk hinge shimmed.   Now I am wondering if it needs more s=
hims to drop the left side of the lid down to fit thr opening it fit before b=
eing bolted to the hinges.&nb sp; =20
> Has anyone had to shim a trunk hinge before?
> Yes the car has the telescopic support.  And up to today I had guessed I h=
ave a bent car from someone trying to close the trunk lid without releasing t=
he support.  Now after seeing the left hinge shimmed , I am wondering if it'=
s a shim problem not a bent car body or trunk lid.
> 1 more thing!  The lid that is on the car is not the lid that was with / o=
n the car when Frank bought it.  That lid had too much damage to attempt usi=
ng.  =20
> Thoughts?  Ideas?   It would be nice if the left side of the lid sat down l=
ike it did before I bolted it to the hinges....
> Chuck
>=20
>=20
> Sent from my LG Mobile
> ------------------------
>=20

--Apple-Mail-31F44D38-72C0-4861-BCCC-F0B2B5DED5A8
        charset=utf-8

eft is bent and the shim is an attempt to fix it. &nbsp;Like you suspect, so=
meone tried to close the lid without releasing the lid support. &nbsp;I have=
 fixed this issue on two Midgets with this procedure - open the latch, stand=
 on the left side of the car and raise the lid a few inches with your right h=
and. &nbsp;Hold the lid open with your right hand and with the palm of your l=
eft hand push down on the lid sharply right at the left hinge location. &nbs=
p;Do this a few times and you can get the hinge to bend back to the proper s=
t 2:03 AM, crusaderchuck55--- via Spridgets &lt;spridgets@autox.team.net&gt;=
>=EF=BB=BF

 much.</div><div dir=3D"auto">Before the Midget got painted , the trunk lid w=
as not bolted on the hinges.&nbsp; I simply put it on the car and it fit all=
 the way around with no high or low spots.&nbsp; Fast forward.&nbsp; Painted=
 the car with trunk lid off &amp; painted the lid separately.&nbsp; &nbsp; P=
aint dries and I bolt the lid on and put a new weatherstrip on the body .&nb=
sp; &nbsp;close the lid and it fits the opening but sits high on the left si=
de.&nbsp;&nbsp;</div><div dir=3D"auto">Today I had the car outside and I was=
 checking my completed work on the fabrication and installation of the fuel c=
ell and noticed something I never saw before.&nbsp; The left hinge is shimme=
d which would move it downward .&nbsp; &nbsp;I never saw a spridget trunk hi=
nge shimmed.&nbsp; &nbsp;Now I am wondering if it needs more shims to drop t=
he left side of the lid down to fit thr opening it fit before being bolted t=
o the hinges.&amp;nb
 sp; &nbsp;</div><div dir=3D"auto">Has anyone had to shim a trunk hinge befo=
re?</div><div dir=3D"auto">Yes the car has the telescopic support.&nbsp; And=
 up to today I had guessed I have a bent car from someone trying to close th=
e trunk lid without releasing the support.&nbsp; Now after seeing the left h=
inge shimmed , I am wondering if it's a shim problem not a bent car body or t=
runk lid.</div><div dir=3D"auto">1 more thing!&nbsp; The lid that is on the c=
ar is not the lid that was with / on the car when Frank bought it.&nbsp; Tha=
t lid had too much damage to attempt using.&nbsp; &nbsp;</div><div dir=3D"au=
to">Thoughts?&nbsp; Ideas?&nbsp; &nbsp;It would be nice if the left side of t=
he lid sat down like it did before I bolted it to the hinges....</div><div d=

--Apple-Mail-31F44D38-72C0-4861-BCCC-F0B2B5DED5A8--

--===============1971196942141615243==

spridgets@autox.team.net

--===============1971196942141615243==--