Re: Sound levels @ Road America

To: Gregory_Schulz@mil-elect-tool.com
Subject: Re: Sound levels @ Road America
From: Bill Dalton <billd13@essex1.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 18:44:46 -0500
Gregory_Schulz@mil-elect-tool.com wrote:

> Greetings to all Thickos:
>
> Saturday at Elkhart Lake's Road America "June Sprints" the
> overall leader of the CSR, DSR, S2000 race was blackflagged
> near the end of the race for a sound violation. Needless to say,
> a victory was lost while he trundled up pit lane answering the
> the black flag.
>
> If any of you are familiar with both RA and SCCA regulations,
> what is the SCCA sound level limit? And, does RA have a
> self-imposed db limit that is even less than SCCA (like Blackhawk)?
>
> And (I'm almost through here... ) where is the sound level at Road
> America measured? ...............someday they may have to rename
> "Thunder Valley"
>
> Greg
> 948 Sprite #517
Greg,

SCCA's sound level all over the country is 103 starting this past
January. The car in question recorded a minimum of 3 106's in every
session prior to the race. When he had 3 107's in the race he was black
flagged and during the lap he did after the black flag, before he
actually got to the pits he recorded a further 106. Since I was Pit tech
for the weekend, I heard all of the readings being reported. There were
a few others who were removed from the track after repeated violations.

Bill Dalton