Re: TeamThicko@Mosport

To: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Subject: Re: TeamThicko@Mosport
From: M&J Rosen <mra@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 10:05:34 -0400

Brian Evans wrote:

> Current lap record for a VARAC legal 948 Sprite at Mosport (before the track
> mods that really don't affect a 948 Sprite) is a rather fantastic 1:48 done
> by Colin (I forget his last name) in the Sprite now owned by Brian Hunt of
> Calgary. This was in about 1988 or so, tires were Dunlop 450 M's.  A good
> time for a 948 Sprite on Hoosiers or equivalent is probably 1:54 or so, I
> could do consistent 1:55's in my 948 Midget on Dunlops.  My personal best in
> the midget at Mosport was a 1:48 flat when I had the 1275 in the car.
>
> So now the Flounder has some times to shoot for...
>
> Brian

I remember that 1:48...Kevin McGuire once did a :49 in the Turner but I think
that both were on days when everyones times were really low - which always
stands
out a timing error.

Last year, Brian MacEachern (Sprite on Hoosiers), Bob Mason (Sprite on Dunlop
L's), Van Worsdale (Lotus 7 on Dunlop L's) John Greenwood (Turner on Dunlop M's)
and I (VAY SPCL on 15" DunlopL's) ran nose to tail during the qualifying race
and
were probably the fastest of the slow Vintage cars... the fastest any of went
was
1:52 flat. All were powered by 948-998
As a point of reference, Elmo Mancinni had a 1275 in his Sprite here last year -
the above group were all a tick faster - but that's from knowing Mosport.
Like most tracks, what looks easy can be very difficult. It's one of those
tracks
that's really easy to learn, there's not a huge number of corners and they're
all
distinctly different so easy to remember but... every one has some trick or
technique that makes it really hard to master.  On most corners, the apex is
blind.
After 13 years at Mosport, I've driven every corner perfectly...but never on the
same lap or in the same race.

Any VARAC racer can drive you around and show you the proper line, entry apex
and
exit for every corner but actually getting your car there is totally another
story - maybe I'm just sloppy. This will be my first race of '99 as well so it
should be interesting.
Personally I planning on slowing down this year...for my car to keep up those
listed above I have to drive the wheels off it - which ultimately caused me
grief
last year. So I'm planning on taking it easy - no more spinning on the last lap
at 11/10's "I WAS DOING JUST FINE UNTIL I RAN OUT OF TALENT"

Mike