Re: What I've been up to...

To: Mike Gigante <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Subject: Re: What I've been up to...
From: David Laver <dlaver@ms.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 09:47:16 +0100
> It is still in *full*
> road trim
> (even  lambswool seat covers on standard seats!) but had  a roll-cage
> added of course.

This made me remember a tip I've yet to pass on to the list...

I've got a '65 MG Midget.  I put in a cage and thought about a bucket seat but
came up with a cheap, effective, and easily reversable mod instead.  I made some
seat sides out of wood.  One jams in between the seat and the tunnel while the
other has a wedge at the front against the sill inner and a packing piece at the
back against the door pilliar.  Took about an hour an a half to do by the time I
worked out how to clear the belts and how much to build up with wood rather than
foam.  The seat is comfortable (standard cusion) but fits side to side like it
was made for me - well it was made for me!!  I settled on wood to just touch the
sides of my legs then one layer of high density foam.  Wrapped them like
Christmas pressants in black vinal secured with short screws and cup washers in
places that wouldn't show.

I have another duel purpose road/race car (a Lancia Aurelia) and am forever
swapping between the race seat which is very uncomfortable after an hour or the
road seats that just don't support.  Another tip from that car is that the seat
is the one biggest improvement you can make to the car.  Next a rolling road
session.  Next sort the peddles to fit.  Next a lighter flywheel.  Only then
start asking for tips on how to make it go, stop, and steer better.

Not having to hold onto the wheel makes it feel like its got a quick rack and
power steering.  It took a while to adjust to not having to brace against the
door or a knee on the tunnel before turning in.

David