Re: Brakes - rear wheel cylinders on Spridgets

To: <team-thicko@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brakes - rear wheel cylinders on Spridgets
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 19:39:59 +1000
Roger,

The adjustment was OK - I tighten the adjuster up until I can first feel
it drag and then back it off 2 flats. I've done this for years without
overheating
the rear brakes before. I do the adjustment before every race so that
I keep a nice firm pedal.

Yes, I am running in the original single master cylinder. The governing body
requires dual line brakes for post '70 cars and this is a '65 Midget.

In my old class (like SCCA rules), there are more freedoms than the class
that this car was built for (Historic Production Sports). Mods are limited
internal engine and gearbox mods. All steel, max of 5" rims etc.
You even have to have original trim! I'll have to check with the eligibility
guy
on whether I am allowed to change the brake system.

The MkIV race/rally Sprite I'm building has a dual system.

I agree that safety should take precedence and that any car should have to
have
a dual system - Sunday was a perfect case to support the argument. Luckily
it didn't result in injury or damage.

cheers, Mike