Re: Venolia Piston Failure at Mid Ohio

To: <lwdent@fwi.com>
Subject: Re: Venolia Piston Failure at Mid Ohio
From: "Carl Braun" <clbraun@mwci.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 09:49:22 -0600
Yes, that's what I understand about needing more ring gap on the
hypereutectic piston.  I don't know if it is true, but I hear because they
are high silicon castings they aren't as strong as forged pistons and are
more subject to failure due to detonation because the material is harder and
more brittle than forged pistons.  On the upside, they can run much closer
"cylinder to wall clearance" because piston heat expansion is less with the
hypereutectic material, thereby rings last longer but need more end gap
because the rings see more heat.

Does this correlate with what you know about hyperutectic pistons?