RE: tech geek question, no LBC

To: "'charlie shelden'" <shelden3@pldi.net>
Subject: RE: tech geek question, no LBC
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 16:02:34 -0500
Hey Charlie,

We were chasing a wireless network issue a few months ago, and last year as
well.

I believe I'm getting interference from some way over powered network, maybe
on a large farm in the area.

The system is this...

Radio antenna on the tower at the house, gets a broadband wi-fi ISP
connection from a place in town that services rural areas.

House, where the radio on the tower is, has a Linksys router. It definitely
succumbs to whatever band sweeping interference I'm seeing. Swapped routers
with the shop (SMC) and experienced the same issue.

The shop wireless (fed by a wire from the house router to a hub, then to the
wireless) is inside a entirely steel building. When all the doors are
closed, it is far less sensitive to being interrupted. When I open garage
doors, etc., I believe I see the same issues as the house, although to a
lesser degree.

I have no way of effectively measuring if the wired connections suffer from
the same band sweeping (meaning I'm not being affected at the router level,
but at the radio level. Is there a tool for that?

ISP swears all is well on their end. I borrowed an extra radio, hooked it up
to DC/AC power supply, and my laptop, and drove around the neighborhood. I
saw lots of activity in a range near where the radio is. ISP has suggested
that one of their competitors has some range sweeping signal far outside of
FCC approved power levels.

Right now, in the shop, I can see the house network, with the doors closed.
I can also see the house network repeater that I have in the shop.

House network, on a repeater in the shop,  seen in the shop with doors
closed...computer stationary, and repeater 5 ' away.
Signal at -24
SNR a range of 74 to 21 in the few seconds I just looked

Shop network, 5' away, getting its signal thru a hub, hard wired  through a
Ethernet cable back to the house router...
Signal at -25
SNR a range of 70 to 32 in the few seconds I just looked.

Changing the physical location of the laptop.... now 90 degrees different,
and only 3' from the house repeater, and shop router...

No change.

The Windows task manager wireless and LAN graphs show almost no wired, (less
than a 1/2 % and occasional usage up to 2.5% on wired... so, despite 3
computers, Apple Airport receiving Itunes wireless from laptop (makes no
difference in this issue if its disconnected) I'm barely tasking the
network.