RE: Elkhart Lake KIC Vintage Race Weekend

To: "'Larry Daniels'" <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>,
Subject: RE: Elkhart Lake KIC Vintage Race Weekend
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 07:32:40 -0500
Yes indeedy.

The Kohler International Challenge/KIC (formerly Brian Redman International
Challenge/BRIC, originally Joe Marchetti's Chicago Historic Races/CHR ) is
being held this weekend in Elkhart Lake, WI.

We enter our 19,000 mile race Sprite in the Concours d'Elegance, sponsored
by Road & Track magazine. As Larry mentioned, Friday night is for Race cars,
Saturday night is for street cars. It takes place in downtown Elkhart Lake,
WI. The race cars are led by police escort from the track into town, and the
streets are lined with many thousands of people. They cheer their favorites
as the parade passes. I'm not sure exactly how many race cars were entered
in the concours, (Maybe Tutone Terry Heffron can tell us?) but it's a
significant number.

The usual entrants for this event are cars that are restored (or
over-restored), many with significant race histories. Corvette is the
featured marque, celebrating 50 years of Corvette racing. There were
authentic Corvettes from the 50's that were Sebring entrants, etc. There are
Can Am cars, Formula 1 cars, production race cars, and all sort of other
specials.

Perhaps having Tutone, and Chief Judge Bob Joint drive the car around the
pits at the track might have something to do with it... but we ended up with
the Reserve Award in the '62 & older retired race car class. Other judges
include vintage scribe/ride mooch Burt Levy, and Peter Egan of Road & Track.

Along with the concours at Steve Earle's race week in Monterey, CA, the
Elkhart Lake Concours is the most significant Concours in this country for
race cars. Having a Sprite take home an award in a group of $million$ dollar
cars was a real treat.

(I'll tell the story about the car in a separate mail.)

WST