Fwd: Bugeye Group..... Racing Bugeye's

To: team-thicko@autox.team.net, bugeye@yahoogroups.com,
Subject: Fwd: Bugeye Group..... Racing Bugeye's
From: zeke5550@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 21:58:28 -0400
 I spent last week end at a great event put on by PVGP.  I cannot say enough
about how great the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix (
www.pittsburghvintagegrandprix.com ) treat the drivers and crew.  The VSCCA
(sanctioning group) is another story.

The Bugeye was for many years not accepted by VSCCA (not to be confused with
VSCDA) because it was 'too commonplace'.  I have raced and promoted and been a
partial sponsor to the Autism Society (one of the beneficiaries of the weekend)
since 2001.   I raced there for 3 years and finally won the "under 1 liter"
group in 2003.  In 2005, I was moved up to the "2 liter group".  I wrote an
appeal letter and requested to get back in the group I belonged in.  My car is
a vintage legal 948 with SVRA and VSCDA and has the proper engine displacement,
tires, brakes, body style etc.

They did register me in the "under 1 liter" group.  When I qualified 9 seconds
a lap faster than the second place car, they again bumped me to the "2 liter
class" and told me "we are not going to let a non-VSCCA member Bugeye win this
race".

I did have some fun in finishing 8th in that group dicing with a 1275 square
body car and a Mini.  Great event but the commoner's Bugeye is really not
welcome with VSCCA even though the PVGP people came up to me and asked me to
make sure I run next year because so many people loved to see the Bugeye in
action.

The Bugeye group member Michael Dipleco <iver28@netzero.net> got some nice
shots and posted on the attached link.  Cool stuff

Gary Kropf
'59 Bugeye
aka Thicko 'Grenade' - Trying not to go off in '06

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting..Holy Shit!! What a
Ride!!"