Re: Big Question

To: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Big Question
From: marrone@wco.com (Frank Marrone)
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 07:22:43 -0700 (PDT)
>I'm currently putting together the HiPo 289 for my Cobra and I've come
>to a question I'm going to have to decide the answer to within the next
>week or so:  Do I want to have oversized valves installed in the heads.

Do you want to make more HP?  Dou you mind some loss of low RPM torque?

If you answered Yes and No then larger valves may be right for you.  You
should consider additional porting work as well.  Your cam selection should
work fine.  Generally the bigger the valves the less cam timming required
for a given peak output.

The popular aftermarket heads sport larger intake, and sometimes exhaust,
valves.  The ports are usually much larger than stock Ford units.  Most
people report very satisfactory gains with these heads.  It is worth
considering purchasing a set rather than sinking a lot of money into a stock
set.  A cast iron set of good aftermarket haeds will run you about $1000.

Frank Marrone          MK I Tiger B9471116
marrone@wco.com        1966 LTD
                       Series I Alpine  (2.3L powered by Ford)
                       Yamaha Seca 900