RE:Interesting Reading (Shelby, Cooling)

To: NamasteRH@AOL.COM, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: RE:Interesting Reading (Shelby, Cooling)
From: RKEMPINS@SSF4.jsc.nasa.gov (Kempinski, Robert M.)
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 09:21:24 -0500
REPLY FROM: Kempinski, Robert M.

Rick Hoefle says
>A quick literary note.  If you happen to see the May 1996 issue of Kit Car
>magazine, and you have even a passing interest in what the indomitable Mr.
>Shelby has been up to OR would like a little info on automotive cooling, buy
>it.  (Wear Groucho glasses as a disguise if it makes you more comfortable
>while making your purchase.)
>
>Highly recommended.

I was reading it last night. I never realized Shelby was  pissed off
at all those Cobra replicas.  Now he joins the crowd - if you can't beat 'em,
join 'em, I guess.

That Cobra Daytona Coupe kit on page 11 really caught my eye. I have info on
it coming in the mail.  I've been thinking about a kit car for a while - no
rust, start from scratch, do what you want - don't have to worry about
originality, you can get a clone of an exotic for less.  I wonder how a Tiger
kit would do?

Rob

P.S. The cooling article was pretty good. One point applicable to Tigers was
about a how a reduction in the cross sectional  area after the radiator
should  improve air flow.  By reducing the area, according to the Bernoulli
principle,  the speed of the air across the radiator should increase. This
implies that the cooling shroud on the Tiger should help increase the
air flow speed.  (This must assume there is no air stagnation in the engine
compartment further downstream. But we all know this to be a problem. It's
why louvers in the hood or ports cut in front of the cowling seem to help
cooling.)  Yet I've seen lots of Tigers without the radiator shroud. How does
the temperature in these cars look?