Re: Vacuum Advance

To: tigers@autox.team.net, STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Subject: Re: Vacuum Advance
From: winbladg@apps5.credence.COM (Gary Winblad)
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 96 15:51:49 PDT
>     Now, the bad news.  The diaphragm in my vacuum canister leaks like a
>     sieve.

>     Anyway, Where can I get a replacement?  It's a stock Mk 1A, assembled
>     in the fall of '66?  Does anyone have an aftermarket part number, or a
>     Ford part number a dealer won't laugh at?  Does Rick or anybody else
>     have anything?  Is it adjustable?

Four years ago I got a brand new one at my local auto parts store.  No problem,
unless you consider it took about three trips there cuz they ordered the
WRONG one a couple of times.   Its a standard Motorcraft (or ?) and it is
identical (except not all crusty-rusty) to the original one in my MK1 ('64).
Before I thought to see if I could buy one, I tried everything to patch
the old one, DUH...

It is adjustable, in fact it comes without that part.  You just remove
the very tip where the vacuum pipe screws in and out falls some washers
and a cylinder.  I just transferred them to the new canister.  Then you
can start tweeking.  I think the problem is the advance is hyper-active,
it shouldn't have as much effect.  To fix that I stuffed in some more
washers...(nothing fancy, just some that were laying around the work
bench).

Gary