Basic Stuff...

To: Tiger Newsgroup <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Basic Stuff...
From: "Edmund E. Powell" <102430.3640@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 28 Apr 96 02:43:19 EDT
Just got on the list, and noticed some comments about starting cars after long
dormant periods.

>> There is nothing sweeter than when the sound of the engine roars back to life
and
>> the vibration flows through you.  Now that is a rush.

My father bought a Sunbeam Tiger in 1967.  I was sixteen.  Over the next several
years, we vacationed together in the summer, travelling to Lincoln Nebraska to
see his parents.  A teenager, top down, powerful car -- did I have the world by
the tail, or not?  Pop and I got acquainted on those trips, as father and son
and as two adults.
Well, he pretty much quit driving the car around 1972, and my adult obligations
precluded any more trips to Lincoln.  The car sat.  In 1988, my father died.
The car sat silently for four more years.  Pop had mentioned overheating and
brake problems, but I wasn't certain of the status of either.  In 1992, I towed
the car over 200 miles to my home -- by that time, it wouldn't start at all
since the gasoline had pretty much turned to varnish and clogged the carburetor
jets.
I, however, didn't know what the problem was, and knew nothing about cars.  But
I had the original shop manual for the car, and started learning.  One day, it
was a Thursday, the engine came to life.  God, what a rush of feelings came over
me!  Yes, the sound and vibration brings it all back, and we each have our own
memories.
I drove it regularly, but currently, the car is sitting idle in Arizona  while
my wife and I live near San Francisco.  We will return to Pismo Beach in about a
year, and the Tiger will return to the road with me.  Pop seems somehow to
always be along for the ride.  And it suits me.

By the way, what are we doing to our engines with the 92 octane unleaded crap
that passes for fuel in California?  (The first of many questions.)

Ed E. Powell   382002639